Sunday, May 3, 2009

Brick

I spent a while trying to think up the perfect movie to review first for this blog – something that touches on strong notions of gender, or a film that is so iconic that it begs a feminist interpretation… In the end I just decided to sit down and watch a movie that I was in the mood for and go from there. I’m anticipating that this blog will have a pretty eclectic range of films, so don’t judge me because I picked a stylish semi-successful indie flick to start off with!

Ok, back to the movie. The film Brick, released in 2005 was writer/director Rian Johnson’s first full length film, but you wouldn’t be able to tell from the level of confidence this movie commands. In so many ways Brick feels like a bizarre science experiment gone horribly right. Johnson went out on a limb here, mixing the genres of film noir and teen drama. The result is movie that holds your attention with wit and originality, keeps you guessing with twists and turns, and laughing unexpectedly at the moments when these two disparate genres (intentionally/inevitably) collide.

The setting is a southern Californian high school but the cast of characters are just about as archetypal to the detective mystery story as any can be – besides the whole teenager thing. In Brick we meet characters like the brooding outsider detective, the damsel in distress, the sharp and intelligent sidekick, the plotting seductress, the all-muscle-no-brains bad guy, the calm but deadly kingpin, and last but not least the mysterious and dangerous brunette.

The film opens with our detective protagonist Brendan (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) receiving a cryptic phone call from an ex-girlfriend who had left him in order to move up the social ladder but quickly goes missing. Brendan sets out on a mission to find Emily (the blonde in trouble), and in the process dives deeper and deeper into the world of high school royalty, drugs, sex and murder. It’s true that the film feels out of touch with reality most of the time – the dialogue in the film is fast and intelligent, but is intentionally out of place coming from high school kids. Brick is self aware almost to a fault, and I can see where some people may be turned off by the film for its experimental approach. That said there are moments when genuine emotion comes through, and it’s because of these moments the film works as a whole.

Brick’s intentionality almost begs for a gender focused or feminist interpretation of the film. Johnson’s first crack at making a full length film feels original and fresh, even though he is working with some of the most exhausted genres in cinema. That said, I can't help but wonder what the film would have been if Johnson had challenged his (gendered) character archetypes in the same way he worked with genre? A feminist film criticism has to go beyond just judging films on “what ways women are presented in film” and get at the intention of a director and the expectations of an audience. What would this film have looked like if the protagonist detective where a teenage girl? Would that have worked, or just felt like an edgy Nancy Drew?

It could be argued that the way gender is dealt with in the film is simply done for the purpose of adhering to the noir genre. I guess I buy that, but the film seems smarter than this. Without giving away too much of the plot, there is a particular scene when Brendan recalls the moment he and Emily broke up… Brendan had said that he was trying to protect her, that he loved her - Emily’s response was that he couldn’t do that for her, that love didn’t mean ownership. The scene is brief but powerful, and in many ways it serves to define the way gender and love are dealt with in the film. As a guy watching this movie I can empathize with the feeling of wanting to protect/defend/avenge the people (women) we claim to love, and I appreciate how Johnson's film is critical of these feelings. But does the film adequately challenge these gender expectations – especially in light of the other “taditional” (hurtful/misogynistic?) female film noir characters? Should it have to?

These are some questions I hope you’ll be thinking about if you get a chance to see Brick, which I definitely recommend. If you’ve already seen it then think about watching it again – this movie is quick and there is a lot to catch on a second viewing.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review, Danny. I need to check Brick out after seeing the trailer. The love =/= ownership idea reminds me of Orlando...

    ***Should I warn that there may be some plot spoilage of 1992's Orlando? I guess I shall***

    The whole idea that Orlando doesn't understand love early on and then plays the opposite role later, parroting what was earlier said to him:

    Archduke Harry: I'm offering you my hand.
    Orlando: Oh! Archduke! That's very kind of you, yes. I cannot accept.
    Archduke Harry: But I... I am England. And you are mine.
    Orlando: I see. On what grounds?
    Archduke Harry: That I adore you.

    I never really liked it, but it's rife with themes of gender. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already analyzed the crap out of it, being a women's studies major. Oh, and the Queen is played by a man, which is odd.

    Are you going to be focusing mainly on independent films? Recent films? I'd like to hear your take on some classics that have been beat half to death (eg. Some Like it Hot), but maybe with some of your own manchild flavoring.

    Top two films dealing with masculine/feminine themes I've discovered recently and that you have probably seen, but I want to recommend anyway: Irreversible and Talk To Her. Irreversible's 9 minute underpass scene is (arguably) too much. A couple girls I saw it with had to leave the room for a while... Very much worth discussing and debating about.

    Last comment, I swear - I learned yesterday that Fast Times at Ridgemont High was directed by a woman. It was weird for me to hear that for some reason, and it makes me want to watch it again to see if I can pick up on anything a female director might have done in a mainstream teen flick that a man probably would have done differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If nothing else this blog is a learning experience for myself. I haven't seen any of the films you've mentioned! (I've got homework I guess...)
    I just finished watching the trailers to the movies you recommended and they all look really interesting.
    As for which movies I'll be trying to review I honestly haven't figured that out yet. I kind of want to stay away from traditionally "gender oriented" films, or movies that are representative of particularly feminist issues/perspectives. I'm really just interested to see what the movies I watch regularly would look like through a feminist informed lens. If you have any more suggestions I would love to hear them - maybe I'll post another disclaimer about specifically what kinds of movies I want to be focusing on, but right now I don't have a clue.
    Thanks,

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god Irreversible is too hard to watch !! in movie theatres, people would throw up or go during the projection. I saw it because i had to (for a project). It's ultra violent (physically and psychologically!)I don't want to see it ever again.

    I should really see "talk to her"

    anyway, do you know what "noir" means, since you talk about the genre ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey lu

    is that a trick question? it means "black" right?
    i guess i could go on about the genre - classic, stylized crime/cop drama from the 1940's and 50's. maybe you were just quizzing me on my french hmmm?

    d

    ReplyDelete